Friday, May 24, 2019

A PILLAR OF THE COMMUNITY

Those who keep up with Games Workshop's Warhammer Community may have noticed that I've had a bit of a presence over there lately. It started with a feature on my Deathwatch team with glorious new photos of the whole gang by the talanted 'Eavy Metal photographers. Have a gander here:





But that's not all. The biggest splash (pun very much intended) these last weeks is the reveal of GW's new Citadel Contrast paints. I was one of a lucky select few who, under much secrecy, was invited to a special preview weekend at GW HQ in Nottingham earlier this year. There I and the other painters (all vastly more talented) got to try out the new colours. Warhammer Community released a video where you can hear us talk about our experiences with the range.

(Apparently I'm so fetching they felt the need to include me twice in the promo picture)















In short - believe the hype. With the risk of overselling them, they really do what it says on the can: provide a vibrant base coat (over a white-isch primer), a shade in the recesses, plus rudimentary highlights on the edges, all with one wash. There's several different pigments in the paint that separate, so if you take Blood Angels Red, it turns darker with an almost blueish tint in the recesses, a vibrant deep red on most of the miniature and slightly yellowish near the egdes. They're also somewhat glossier than GWs usually very matte colours, which gives them a crisper finish. Contrast promises to be a powerful tool in the tool box - especially for the painters like me, who like to get stuff done quickly and efficiently so you can focus on the fun bits.

As you hear I'm completely sold. They're not magic - you still need a certain amount of skill to use them properly - but they are indeed magical.

(And if you're wondering - no, I'm in no way being paid to say this. We all got a trip to Notts and some free paints. That's it.)

Here's a skaven I painted on the secret testing day in February. It's done more or less only with contrast paints with some simple bone highlights on the armour. The robe is one coat - just one of the standard colours (the name of which currently eludes me) right out of the pot. The whole model took me about two hours all in all.


And here's two half-finished space marines where I've just tested out some lighter colour schemes, one using the new Wraithbone primer on the marine to the right, and Grey Seer primer on the guy to the left. They were both drybrushed with skull white, sponged with rhinox brown and then given a coat of contrast paints. The one on the right Apothecary White and the other Skeleton Horde (I think...). Some darker contrast paint was painted into some of the recesses for deeper shades.

 There's about about 30 minutes of work done on each. I think they look pretty good for a half an hour paint job?

You can clearly see what a sumptuously vibrant red Blood Angels red gives you on the shoulderpads of the marine to the right. That's one coat folks.
I'll be back with more on this once I get my grubby mitts on the sample paint set, said to plonk down at my door any day now. 

8 comments:

  1. Very interesting, thanks you for sharing with the community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am quite interested to see how this will integrate into the wider GW paint system of washes, highlights, and the like. Being a slow and occasional painter, something that speeds up the process would be welcome indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do think this range will speed things up considerably. Especially as it allows you to paint some boring details like leather straps, pouches and so on extremely quickly, which will leave more time to focus on the important stuff.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on being recognized as one of the major players in the hobby community. Thanks for sharing your feelings about the new paints. I'm sure some of us will want to give them a try after that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542

    He is also able to cast spell like 1: Lottery 2: Conceive 3: Breakup 4: Divorce 5: Cure for all kinds of diseases and viruses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.