Friday, April 25, 2014

The need for speed

So there. 

After 2 hours and 59 minutes of frantic painting, here's the result of the speedpainting experiment.

I set the phone alarm to go off every hour so I could stretch my legs and take snapshots of the progress. 

Hour 0
Undercoat with black, brown and bone. 



_

Hour I
Foundation and shading



_

Hour II
Drybrushing, washes. Basecoating details



_

Hour III
Details and general fiddling about



_

Now it's only the base left - the mini stays as it is. I'll take some proper pics once that's done. 

All in all pretty happy how it panned out - it was fun as an excersise, but somewhat frustrating. The stress of having a racing timer nearby made detail work like thin highlights very difficult to pull off for some reason.

And I can't get rid of the feeling that he actually looked best at the one hour mark...

13 comments:

  1. That is an impressive feat of painting right there. And I disagree that he looked better at the one hour mark: the final result is stunning and very in-keeping with your style. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice for 3 hrs! Now do it again - but faster! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. Yeah - I can probably do a normal plaguebearer in two hours...

      Delete
  3. I think you were done by hour 2

    Hour 3 just looks off putting sort of with the blue glowing eyes, the eyes are more tzeenchy rather than nurgle-like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Interesting point but I've used cyan spotcolours on all my nurgly models as I like the contrast against the warmer fleshy hues. One needs some part of the mini to "pop" to make it interresting

      Delete
  4. Over all I really like the mini, I imagine that the very pure reds are what are throwing you for a loop by the hour 3 mark. Which makes sense as you mentioned having issues with the thin highlights. I believe if you had some of the original browns and greens showing through on the areas of red that you would find a nice blend of hour 1 and 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - in hindsight I should probably have painted the mouth abd wounds a dark purple

      Delete
    2. With that said, I think the base on the new post really brings it all together. Those reds no longer stand out nearly as much as they did with an unfinished base.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Nope! Doable - but not recomended!

      Delete
  6. I think at the hour mark, his highlights were far more subtle and it was a great look, though the three hour version has far more definition which brings out far more detail within the sculpt = better.

    Even were it not speed painting, this is a lovely mini, far better than I could do if I spent 8 hours. :)

    ReplyDelete