Wednesday, January 24, 2018

SOMETHING PUTRID THIS WAY COMES

Happy new year everyone!

I hope 2018 is treating you well so far and that you didn't gain too many extra pounds over the holidays (or kilos, if you happen to live in the civilised world).

I'm hoping to do a bit more hobbying this year - especially since I've been granted the great honour of being part of GW´s newfangled  ”early reviewer” scheme. Basically they´ll send selected models every now and then to me and a bunch of other hobbyists, just to see what we can make of them.

A few weeks back the the first model reared it's ugly head - the new Great Unclean One - and I set to work, gluing the "mini" together. It is insanely huge - almost too big if you ask me. But that, of course, is a matter of preference.

I'll be building it more or less straight out of the box (not really being used to big models such as this). There’s some minor alterations however - added more prongs to the horns to make them more tree-like, spines on the back and re-sculpted the corners of the mouth to get rid of those cartoony tusks.



A great model all in all - I really dig the "standard" jolly variant and the the cowled wizard. The cyclops version... not so much. But there you go.

The rest of the new nurglies are a bit of a mixed bag (I'm looking at you Beasts of Nurgle) but at least the big guy himself got a praiseworthy treatment.

I've been toying with the idea of adding a nurgling on his neck (just love it´s air of delusions of grandeur), but I'm worried that it might distract from the head too much. Well see.


We'll get back to this once I start painting the thing. 

But there's more - I've actually completed a model as well! 

A sturdy hammerer, based on the Kharadron dwarfs (Dvaergar...? Duardin...?) for a new squat gang I'm putting together for a game this summer. More on that later on...



12 comments:

  1. Looking forward to what you do with the Great Unclean one (and good job to GW for selecting you for their early releases, can only help drive sales).

    The Squat is great though. Gives a good "imperial alien" feel, which is certainly one way to capture that old squat vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate!

      I doubt my tinkering will drive sales, but I'm certainly not complaining!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic work on the squat, Johan! That is one project I am really looking forward to, as I've been thinking about doing something similar for a while. The paintjob does such an amazing job of bringing the model more firmly into the 40k 'verse. What's that head, by the way? Some kind of Primaris rebreather head?

    Congratulations on being selected for that early access programme! I won't lie, stuff like that always makes me ridiculously jealous, but I will readily admit that it couldn't have happened to a more deserving hobbyist! ;)

    Seeing how you've worked with the GUO, would the kit allow for combining the cowled head, sword arm and "regular" left arm (the one with the chains, not the one with the crazy mutated face) without major conversion work?

    Looking forward to more hobby goodness in 2018, mate!

    Cheers, KS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krauty! You flatterer you!

      The GUO kit is customisable sp you can combine the different arms and head in any configuration - no conversion necessary.

      The blimp dwarfs really are perfect for squat conversions - all their gear is incredibly high tech so it fits right in with the 40k stuff. It's a regular reiver head with some modifications.


      Delete
  3. I really like the Squats - they’re not cartoonish in any way, but grim and deadly-looking. I look forward to seeing what you do with Great Unclean One.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - I try to make them look tough as nails and down to business. No big beards and no bling, runes etc.

      Delete
  4. Be glad to see the Squats back in 40k some day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't you heard? They are back!
      (In Necromunda at least).

      Delete
  5. Was wondering just how simple it would be to mess with the Kharadron kit to make them more 40K and thereby be more appropriate for Squats. Flippin excellent job though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello nice conversion what is the heads you used for these minis ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542

    He is also able to cast spell like 1: Lottery 2: Conceive 3: Breakup 4: Divorce 5: Cure for all kinds of diseases and viruses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.